Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Yummy Crescent Rolls

So yesterday was Canadian thanksgiving and since I am a Canadian, even though I live in the USA, I decided to celebrate. I made a turkey dinner, complete with mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry sauce, gravy, stuffing, but most importantly, I made the most delish Sweet Potato Crescent rolls. I got the recipe from Taste of Home Best Holiday Recipes magazine. It was $10.99 and so worth it. Anyway, they are delish! They taste nothing like sweet potatoes and are not really yeast tasting -- which I was concerned about. My kids gobble them up. They are light and fluffy and just AMAZING! So, being the generous person I am, and because I am so thankful for all of you who read my blog (*tear*) I decided I would share it with you, so you can use it for your Thanksgiving, or even Christmas.

SWEET POTATO CRESCENTS
Rebecca Bailey, Fairbury, Nebraska

2 packages (1/4 oz. each) active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
1 can (15 oz.) cut sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp salt
5 to 5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup butter melted

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in sweet potatoes, sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 3 cups flour. Add enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down; divide into thirds. Roll each section into a 12 inch circle; cut each into 12 wedges. Brush with butter. Roll up from the wide end and place, pointed end down, 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise unti doubled, about 40 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees F for 13-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.

2 comments:

Paula (stampinspy) said...

Amanda,

Your work is beautiful. I don't know how you find time to create all this stuff and write about it too. I found your blog on SCS. I don't post much, but enjoy seeing everyone's creativity. I made your crescent rolls about a month ago and we all loved them. I am making them for our Thanksgiving on Thursday.
Thanks for giving us the recipe.

Amanda said...

Thank you Paula, that was sweet of you to say. I am glad you liked the crescent rolls. I think they are just so yummy and not that hard to make either . . .