Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What's For Dinner Wednesday - Salmon with Tomatoes

Sorry I have been missing in action. I have been spending a lot of time with my family and been working on things for a couple of card calls, which unfortunately I cannot post, but not to worry, I will soon be posting some fun cards again. I took a whole week off from my blog to relax and renew. This weekend I am headed to Mesa to the Creating Keepsakes convention to help out. I am really excited, it is a lot of fun. I will post some updates from that event also.

DINNER - Okay, so really, M is driving out to the lot that we are looking at purchasing tonight to get an idea on how long the commute will take tonight, so the kids and I will probably eat pizza or mac and cheese -- but I couldn't let you guys eat that, so I offer you what we ate for dinner last night. This recipe was found on allrecipes when I was looking for something different to do with a salmon fillet that I had in the freezer. It is definitely different, but M and I both agree we would gladly make it again.

Salmon with Tomatoes

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
2 cups water
2 1/2 tablespoons garlic oil (I used olive oil with a bit of crushed garlic added)
2 (6 ounce) fillets salmon (Because you mash it up later, you could perhaps use canned salmon -- I don't know for sure cause I did not do it, but I imagine it would work in a pinch)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/4 teaspoon paprika to taste
2 fresh tomatoes, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (I used dried)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter (good and fattening, you could probably reduce this by half)
4 dashes hot pepper sauce (I used Pico Pica - M's dad's fave)

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 20 minutes.
2. Heat the garlic oil in a skillet over medium heat. Season the salmon with salt, pepper, dill, and paprika, and cook in the hot oil 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until tender enough to break apart. Break salmon into cubes with a spatula or fork. Mix in the tomatoes, garlic, and lemon juice. Continue cooking until salmon is easily flaked with a fork.
3. Mix the parsley, Parmesan cheese, butter, and hot pepper sauce into the skillet, and continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes, until well mixed. Serve over the cooked rice.

2 comments:

Debbie G said...

Amanda, the salmon sounds delicious and I just wanted to know I just love reading your blog. You are such a good writer.

Lois Michael said...

Hi Amanda, Just thought I would tell you about a little place in Avondale. Jenn has an online store called just4funcrafts.com and her prices are pretty good too. If you use the SUSAVE5 code you get 5% off your order and the best thing is you can email her with what you want to pick it up and no shipping. I will order and email her, I asked for directions to pick it up, she had the order ready when I got there. Another great thing is she has stuff that she hasn't posted online available too. Thanks for the recipe too!