Wednesday, April 11, 2007

What's For Dinner Wednesday - Salsa Chicken Burrito Filling

UPDATE: We both really liked this. M and I ate second helpings. The only thing M thought would be better is to add more chicken to tone down the flavor a bit, so I think next time I make it I will use 4 boneless breasts. It was not too spicy and tasted SO much better than Taco Bell chicken burritos! We served it on flour tortillas with sour cream, tomatoes and cheese.

I found this one on allrecipes.com -- it sounds super easy and I am in the mood for burritos. Now I just need to head to the store to pick up some fresh tortillas and some sour cream. Let me know what you think . . . as always . . .

Salsa Chicken Burrito Filling

INGREDIENTS:
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup salsa
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
hot sauce to taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. Place chicken breasts and tomato sauce in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, then add the salsa, seasoning, cumin, garlic and chili powder. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
2. With a fork, start pulling the chicken meat apart into thin strings. Keep cooking pulled chicken meat and sauce, covered, for another 5 to 10 minutes. Add hot sauce to taste and stir together (Note: You may need to add a bit of water if the mixture is cooked too high and gets too thick.)

2 comments:

Stampin_Melissa said...

Don't you just LOVE that website???? I get most of my recipes from them! Sounds yummy! I have some flour tortillas here if you want to pop up to IL! ;)

QuiltNut Creations said...

mmm yummy! i have a similar recipe with peppers. will have to try this one