Wednesday, June 13, 2007

What's For Dinner Wednesday - Grilled Chicken and Ambrosia Salad

My OH MY! It's a hot one today. We have been busy busy too! I took the kids to story time at the library and then we went to the splash park again. They love it there and who am I to deprive them since it is free. We only stayed for about half an hour before the heat was too intense. Then we returned some jeans for my DH from Old Navy and headed home. J fell asleep in the car and is still crashed out on my couch. E is watching her princess movie from the library, so that gave me a couple seconds to check in.

With the heat so intense, I often find it so hard to feel like cooking/eating/moving at all -- so the recipe today is for a salad I made earlier this week, that we found on allrecipes.com, that the kids just love and it is perfect for hot sunny, I don't want to cook kind of days! Get your DH to grill up some chicken to go with it and it's a perfect little summer meal.

Ambrosia Salad

INGREDIENTS:
2 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
1 (15 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
1 1/4 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup cool whip

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, combine the oranges, pineapple, marshmallows and coconut. Add sour cream and cool whip and toss to mix. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.

NOTES & DISCLAIMERS: We added some extra fruit because we love fruit. If you are only so-so on fruit -- try one can of oranges, and a smaller size pineapple. Also, we used pineapple tidbits rather than chunks cause they are smaller and yummier *I swear that its true*

No comments: