Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Cream Caramels and another Magnolia Card (SC137)

NOTE: Blogger was acting up and would not allow me to post pictures (so I am posting today - Thursday) -- I hope you enjoy it just the same . . .

This card was for SC137 on splitcoast. I loved the layout. The only real extra I did is add a circle with a sentiment. Image is by Magnolia. I got the ribbon from one of Jody's ribbon shares (texasjodylynn). Paper is KI Memories. I did a poor job of watercoloring this image in . . . maybe next time it will be more perfect.

In lieu of dinner since it will be something on the go for us tonight because we are leaving for the trip tomorrow and I still have not packed . . . caramels!

So I had never tried this recipe before, and never made caramels before, but DANG these are yum! They cooked up a little harder than I imagined (I think that is because I cooked them a tad long), but they are melt in your mouth delicious. I poured my mixture over a bed of pecans and toffee bits and it was AMAZING!!! DH was so addicted he could not stop eating them and gave himself a tummy ache. I think I am going to take the rest to family reunion -- we leave tomorrow. I will be MIA till Monday, but you have survived without me before *wink*

Cream Caramels (http://www.carrieschocolates.com/Recipes/creamcaramels.htm)

2 c. sugar
2 c. cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup butter (only real butter)
1 3/4 c. corn syrup

Mix sugar, butter, syrup and 1 cup cream in fairly large saucepan. Bring to boil at medium heat and while still boiling, add slowly the remaining cup of cream, slowly enough that the boil isn't hindered. (This is called slacking back the batch.. I'm not sure exactly why it's so important to do this.. but it never worked if I tried to skip it, plus it almost overflowed the pot.)

Continue boiling until mixture forms a firm ball in cold water. (I'd cook until a soft ball, depending on the use my caramel would be put to... folks loved it softer) Remove from stove, add vanilla, and pour into pans to set. Cut and wrap in waxed paper (if cooked to firm) (Alternate method; pour over chopped pecans, then cut after cooling and coat with chocolate).

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Awesome card!!!! I love everything about it!

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

The circle is the perfect addition to the scs layout. LOVE the colours. :0)