Monday, September 17, 2007

Cupcakes Again - Strawberry Lime

So last night I had the urge to go make some cupcakes, so I put down the blanket I was crocheting and DH came downstairs with me to relax and watch a movie while I whipped some up. It was really late when I got done baking them, but I iced them anyway . . . the icing is "special" because I could not find the tip I wanted to use, so I just used the icing bag snipped!

My kids were really excited this morning to find these waiting for them. Nothing like a good sugar high in the morning (Yep, I let them eat a cupcake for breakfast).

Anyway, after all that, if you think these sound yummy, here is the recipe:

Strawberry Lime Cupcakes (from Crazy About Cupcakes by Castella)

1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature)
1 c. granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. fresh or frozen strawberries (sliced)
2 tsp lime juice
1 tsp grated lime zest

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.
2. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (like me), 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat well after each addition.
3. In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk. Mix for 3 minutes. With a rubber spatula fold in the vanilla, strawberries, lime juice and zest.
5. Fill the cupcake liners one half to three-quarters full. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.

Lime Frosting

4 c. confectioners sugar
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 T lime zest
1/2 c. lime juice
Few drops of green food color (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
In a large bowl cream together the sugar and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Mix in the lime zest and lime juice and food coloring until spreading consistency is achieved.

1 comment:

JenMarie said...

These sound amazing! thanks for sharing the recipe!!