Friday, September 21, 2007

Root beer Cupcakes (Manda Style)

So these root beer cupcakes are a conglomeration of a couple of different recipes. Basically, I made the recipe from my Crazy About Cupcakes book (Castella) and I found it was not as rootbeer-ish I was imagining that it would be . . . so I decided that instead of the actual can of rootbeer, I would try it with rootbeer concentrate. I think I ended up using about 1/2 a bottle. I just kept adding it until I could taste it in the batter (yep, I tasted raw eggs too, so far I have not died). Anyway, then I was looking for a topping for it.

I found a site online that had pretty cupcakes so I copied that topping idea. I am not too fond of the shortening frosting recipe though -- I think next time I would just stick to something butter based, or something even lighter than that -- I just don't like how the shortening feels in my mouth. It still tastes sweet and good, I just have issues (hey, at least I admit it). Anyway, here is my closest approximation to my final recipe.

ROOT BEER CUPCAKES
(Yield: 2.5 doz.)

3/4 lb (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 c. granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour (or I used cake flour but use what you have)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 c. milk
root beer concentrate until you can barely taste it in the batter (about 1 fl. oz.)
1/3 c. crushed root beer flavored candies

Preheat oven to 350F. Insert liners into medium cupcake pan. In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium until fluffy (3-5 minutes). Add the eggs one by one and beat well. Add vanilla extract and root beer concentrate. Mix well.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add portions of the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternating with the milk. Mix for 3 minutes. Add 1/3 c. crushed root beer flavored candies and mix well. Fill cupcake liners 1/2-3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan.

TOPPINGS: (from http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com)

1) GANACHE

5 Oz. Dark Chocolate (I used semi sweet, I have a thing for semi sweet chocolate)
1/4 c. milk
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup

Combine the above ingredients in a microwave safe container and heat for about 1 minute in the microwave. Stir thoroughly even if it does not look completely melted - it should come together after a bit of agitation. If it does not or the chocolate is not entirely smooth, return to microwave for 15 seconds at a time, watching very carefully to ensure it does not burn. Drizzle ganache in squiggles over the tops of the cupcakes. Allow ganache squiggles to fully cool and dry before preparing the frosting.

2) FROSTING

1 c. Vegetable Shortening
3 c. Confectioner’s Sugar
2 Tbsp milk
2 Tsp Vanilla Extract

Throw room temperature shortening into your mixer, and beat thoroughly until creamed. Add in sugar and start on a low speed so as not to spray powder everywhere. Incorporate milk and extract, and combine thoroughly. Apply to cupcakes as desired. Sprinkle with some extra crushed root beer candies for decoration.


***************

It has been a fun and busy cupcake baking day. I plan to drop these off to a bunch of friends tomorrow morning! Hope it brightens their Saturday! Hope you are having a fabulous Friday!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Amanda, I use a shortening icing all the time... it's the recipe we got in the Wilton Decorating class. To make it taste better, head over to wherever you can get Wilton products (like Michaels) and buy the liquid butter flavouring (like vanilla). Use half the amount of vanilla and for the other half, use the butter flavouring. Tastes so much better that way. Also, if you use water instead of milk the icing will not go bad.

Stampin_Melissa said...

Alright Manda, where in the heck do I find root beer concentrate???? I've never heard of that before. *sigh* I so wanted to make some of these. I guess it will have to wait until I get everything together.

BTW, I always use milk (and butter) in my frosting and never refrigerate it and I've never had it go bad. Perhaps I don't keep it around long enough? :D

Oh, am I your friend that you are delivering these to tomorrow???? *evil grin*