Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween! What's For Dinner Wednesday - Pumpkin Turkey Chili



I hope you are having a happy Halloween. We have had quite a hectic one here. Today was our walk through for our house. We had to go find all the construction damage, etc. We were there for 2.5 hours and I think we were fairly thorough. Most of the issues are minimal paint touch ups, etc. I am so excited to move into the house -- it is almost ready for us. We get the keys on the 7th after another quickie walk through.

When we got home, we all relaxed for a bit and then I began to prepare dinner while M dressed the kids for Halloween. I made a pumpkin chili recipe that I found on all recipes (I have included the changes/fast fixes I used). It turned out YUMMY!

Pumpkin Turkey Chili

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion (used precut ones frozen - included peppers in the bag)
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced (used a tsp garlic powder with parsley)
1 pound ground turkey
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 cups pumpkin puree (used 1 15 oz. can of puree)
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder (used a package of chili seasoning)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 dash salt

DIRECTIONS

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and garlic until tender. Stir in the turkey, and cook until evenly brown. Drain, and mix in tomatoes and pumpkin. Season with chili powder, pepper, and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Serve with french bread or crackers.



I did not really have time to eat chili before trick or treating began because the kids were really excited and eager to get going. I left it on a simmer and it was perfect when we got back.

1 comment:

Wife2TJ said...

Awww...how cute are they??? :-)