Thursday, December 20, 2007

Altered Tootsie Roll Bank for DD

We decorated my DD's old bedroom in Disney Princesses and so in this new house, she wants to keep having a Princess room. We have looked for the perfect Disney Princess Piggy Bank, but have yet to find one where the doll looks pretty in the face like the actual Disney Princesses, or that matches her room, or that has it's stopper in the bottom not missing. Anyway, I decided to make her one and when I was at The Dollar Tree the other day, I saw the Tootsie Roll banks and thought it would be perfect.

The paper was some scraps that were in my drawer of scraps. The lavender lace piece was stamped with an SU set about a year ago, and had just been sitting there. I stitched the pieces together (my second time sewing on a project) and it worked well. The E for DD's first name, was a chipboard letter that I altered. In hindsight I don't think I would have sponged the edges and I may go back and make the white dots more crisp using my signo gel pen. We will see. I punched two sizes of ovals (mega and giga) and layered them and put a swarovski crystal every other scallop. Attached the whole piece on with 4 big glue dots. The rick rack in the back behind it really does match -- it is velvet so it photographed a weird color. Oh and I finished it off with a shiny bow above the "E". DD came in while I was making it. She was really excited to see what I was working on and more excited when she found out it was for her. I hope she likes the finished bank!!!

3 comments:

Debbie Fisher (debbiedee) said...

Amanda, I love this idea. I will have to make one for my son. He will love the tootsie rolls as well as the decorated bank. Ü

Godelieve said...

This is so pretty! Perfect colors for a princess :) I can imagine that it made your DD happy!

Cheryl said...

Beautiful. My granddaughter is into princesses and would adore something like this.
Cheryl