Wednesday, December 26, 2007

What's For Dinner Wednesday - Italian Sausage Soup

Tis the season for soups! I bet it is more freezing where you are than the barely freezing AZ temperatures that we are suffering here -- but seriously, 50 degrees and I am freezing my butt off. Add to that the heat in my house is not working, and the warmest I have been feeling is about 67 degrees inside, which is still chilly! Soup has been sounding really yummy!!! I made this the other day and thought I would share it this week with you! Hope you are having a wonderful Boxing Day and spending quality time with your family and that Santa was good to you! Happy Holidays!

Italian Sausage Soup

INGREDIENTS

1 pound Italian sausage (I used turkey sausage)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth (I used chicken)
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
1 cup sliced carrots
1 (14.5 ounce) can great Northern beans, undrained
2 small zucchini, cubed
2 cups spinach - packed, rinsed and torn
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS

1. In a stockpot or Dutch oven, brown sausage with garlic. Stir in broth, tomatoes and carrots, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
2. Stir in beans with liquid and zucchini. Cover, and simmer another 15 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
3. Remove from heat, and add spinach. Replace lid allowing the heat from the soup to cook the spinach leaves. Soup is ready to serve after 5 minutes.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I must make this soup. Yummo (as Rachael Ray would say!) Thanks for posting it.
Cheryl

Laura lok said...

yummy sounding

Abby said...

Hey! Thanks for posting your dinner menu! I'm going to try it out tonight. I have everything but the zucchini. (And I have an assignment to figure out what to do with dehydrated carrots ((food storage style)) - I think this recipe will be a perfect match for that, too!

By the way - I love love love what you did for Hanna's dress up there! Have a lovely day.

Unknown said...

Yummm! Your recipes sound so mouthwatering good! I will check back often to see what to make for dinner! :)