Saturday, October 20, 2012

Challenger Space Center


We had planned to go to Sedona this weekend, but we woke up and had a slow breakfast, and when I looked online, I discovered that the leaves were not changing as much as I had hoped they would be, so we decided to wait a couple weekends.  We went through our list of stuff to do while still in AZ, and decided upon the Space Center.  

The drive was only about an hour.  We ended up getting there close to 1pm.  The museum closed at 4.  We started our adventure with their liquid nitrogen demonstration.  It was really cool.  The kids really enjoyed it!  Afterwards, we went on a tour of the facilities.  We learned about all kinds of astronauts and attempts to go into space.  We got to see the tire of a space shuttle after it had been used up (apparently they can only be used twice).  The kids got to see a small collection of meteorites and even got to hold one (and they were surprisingly more heavy than we expected). It was an interesting museum.  I thought it was a bit overpriced for what was there, but other than that, we had a good time.


 J building while waiting for the Liquid Nitrogen demo
E listening to some music :)  Haha

J's finished project

Blowing up balloons to stuff in the cooler of liquid nitrogen 

Holding a chunk of meteorite 

Posing as an astronaut - haha!  E didn't want to do it. 

Em and the gyroscope

E and M playing with all the buttons and switches

2 comments:

Brimaca said...

Looks fun!

Unknown said...

I'm so jealous, I wish we lived close to a place like this. My son would love it.
I would like to tag you since I too was tagged. I had a lot of fun participating, and hope that you will too. You can see the details here.... http://quarteredheartcrochet.blogspot.com/2012/11/ive-been-tagged.html