Friday, January 11, 2008

Challenge Catch Up Day - CC148, SC158, LSC150

All week I have been wanting to get some stamping time in, but my body would not let me and I would crash shortly after putting the kids to bed each day. Well, last night I made myself stay up. I ate a brownie with frozen yogurt and caramel sauce (OMGosh so yummy) and watched Greys Anatomy (a NEW one which was SO good). Then I went in my office and milled around and blog hopped for about ten minutes trying to figure out what to do and then I remembered all the tabs I had left open on my computer with challenges that I wanted to do . . . I started stamping. My Magnolia stamps have been calling my name!

I only managed to finish one card - but it turned out pretty! It was for CC148 which was wild wasabi, barely banana and blue bayou (or bordering blue). These colors just screamed Easter to me, so I went with it, even though it is still quite a ways away. I blame it on my local JoAnn's store who not only had Valentine stuff out when I was in there yesterday, but also all sorts of Spring and Easter stuff. I cheated a little teeny bit and added a bit of purple-ish glitter on the wings of Tilda and on the underskirt of her dress, using a glitter pen. The inkspiration for this layout came from a Bella Challenge on SCS. I really liked it -- it used designer paper in the sample but I thought it would look just as cute in solid colors. You could even use a cuttlebug embossing folder for some subtle texture. Great layout!!!

Stamps: Easter Egg Tilda - Magnolia, Family Phrases - Stampin' Up! Ink: Staz On Black Paper: Bordering Blue, Whisper White, Barely Banana, Wild Wasabi Accessories: Prismacolors and gamsol, blending stumps, sheer blue polka dot ribbon, white signo gel pen, singer sewing machine, yellow thread, American Crafts Glitter Gems - Blue Zircon pen.

Then this morning when I woke up, I felt like stamping some more, so I got my kids settled with some bowls of oatmeal and Disney Channel and headed into my stamp room. I decided to do the Sketch Challenge, and then I looked at today's challenge, limited supplies, and I decided I could totally do that one too! The limitations were:

"make a card, OR 3-D project using colors from only 1 color family. This includes paper, ink, ribbon, brads etc etc. You may use white or vanilla cards stock if needed for your image and black ink but please try to use as much of the color family you choose as possible. In the spirit of keeping things limited see if you can do this with only 2 colors, 2 embellishments and limited tools. Or use the color family that is your least favorite."

I decided to use bold brights because people often have a hard time with them for some reason, but they may be my favorite color family. I chose pixie pink and real red as my colors (even though sometimes I have issues with pink and red together -- like I would not wear these colors together in a million years).

I turned the sketch on its side. The bottom was made using pieces of scrap paper to create a pattern. I wanted to stick to the rules so I used pink and white which were already the colors I had used. I know it is shocking but this is not designer paper (I MADE IT!!!!!) I have wanted to make Tilda's "loves" be outside the box for a long time, and thought it would be perfect for this card. I added some accents in gel pen and stitched with my sewing machine. Have I mentioned recently how much I am in love with sewing on cards???? I added primas because I decided that it would be perfect to enter this card in the Tilda & Co. challenge blog (which I found yesterday). Plus, the card needed a little something. I had a lot of fun coloring this image, I think I am getting better at prismacolor pencils -- what do you think????

Stamps: Tilda "Loves" stamp, Family Phrases- Stampin' Up! Paper: Pretty in Pink, Whisper White, Real Red Ink: Staz On Black, Cats Eye White Accessories: Prismacolor pencils and gamsol, singer sewing machine, signo white gel pen, prima flowers, fire and ice brads by Stampin' Up!, white thread.

19 comments:

Michelle Pearson said...

love the color combos and the stitching on the patterned paper.
so cute!

laos348 said...

Your first card is very pretty and those colors are very Easter-like, I'll have to remember that combo when making Easter cards! The Valentine card is very cute and I like the way you did the hearts.

Lorraine said...

adorable stiching on the dp! love your kick stand card. great job on all your challenges!

Karen said...

Very good coloring Amanda! These are both very cute cards!

Helen said...

Your colouring is excellent! And I love the stitching. The pink and red look fab together. :)

Kelly said...

Oh Amanda these are just darling!! You have colored then so perfectly too!

Kraftin' Kimmie said...

OHMYGOSH girl!! These are FAB-ulous!! I can't believe you coloured those with Prismas and on Whisper White!! I can never get the colours that bright and spread so nicely on WW! They just don't seem to wanna spread for me!! What's with that??? Awesome job girl!! I need to visit you for a tutorial!!!

Anonymous said...

these cards are very very cute !!!!
i love the stitching

Unknown said...

Awww! These are both soo adorable!!!

Andrea, said...

Gorgeous cards, love your colouring

Annie said...

you have been busy with Tilda! and all those challenges too - I'm doing the SC sketches from #1 this year, I must be mad!

Dari-Lynn said...

I love the red, pink and white stripes together, and the girl is adorable! :)

Claudia Rosa ~ Pretty Pressings said...

cute, cute cute
it is going to be difficult to make a desicion :-)

Sandy said...

Oh my gosh this is so sweet. Lovely work.

Anonymous said...

so lovely

Marlene said...

Beautiful cards and the colouring is just perfect!! *Ü*

Anonymous said...

she's so cute - I like the pink and red together and may have to give it a try!

Tracy said...

Love your handmade designer paper- fantastic job chickie! Beautiful and vibrant cards. Love your blog Amanda...so sorry I am just now visiting it.

Unknown said...

Oooh these are soooo cute Amanda, have you seen a new site that is doing Magnolia Tilda challenges etc, its http://magnoliachallengeblog.blogspot.com/

Pop on over - there is blog candy every week