Friday, September 26, 2008

Baking Up a Storm . . .

What do you get when you have some gorgeous Heidi Grace Designs scrap paper you want to share, a little extra time and inspiring magazines lying around????

It's been a long time since I did some random baking (its been too darn hot), this time I opted for some banana bread to use up some very ripe bananas and for some pumpkin chocolate chip muffins because I saw the recipe and it just sounded terribly yummy!

My friend came over and chatted while I baked (in the evening) and our kids played. Much cooler to bake at night. I sent one home with her and her hubby called and said it was "better than his moms" -- so that means that this must be a good recipe!!! Of course I plan to share the recipes with you, as always (both come from allrecipes.com today).

Banana Sour Cream Bread

Ingredients:

2 tbsp white sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 c. and 2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 c. white sugar
2 eggs
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 16 oz. container of sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. walnuts (optional) - I left these out, not a big nut person

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease 4-5 5x3 inch loaf pans (or size of your choice). In a small bowl, stir together 2 tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Dust pans lightly with cinnamon and sugar mixture.

2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Mix in eggs, mashed bananas, sour cream, vanilla, and cinnamon (and just for fun I threw in my leftover cinnamon sugar). Mix in salt, baking soda and flour. Stir in nuts, if desired. Divide into prepared pans.

3. Bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

This second recipe, I spied first in Home and Heart Magazine, p.49, and I decided to make my own version of some muffins to give away. They made a lovely card, but since I was crunched for time and have totally different taste, I made my own version. I made a card as well, but kind of a tag recipe card that I could tie onto a bag of muffins with the recipe on the other side of it. I put a dozen of the muffins in the bags. I am going to take these to some random friends from church. I really hope they like it!!!

UPDATE: Took these treats to some random friends at church last night - most who have children the same age as my E. I got M and the kids to deliver them, and I just chilled in the car. It was fun seeing them come back smiling -- it made them have warm fuzzies and it was fun cause they got to see their friends! All in all - I think it was a fabulous way to spend a couple nights!!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Ingredients:
1/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. vegetable oil (I used canola)
2 eggs
3/4 c. canned pumpkin (I upped this to a full cup - I love pumpkin)
1 1/4 c. water (I only used a cup of water)
1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips (are you kidding me? I used about a cup)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease and flour muffin pan or use paper liners. Mix sugar, oil, and eggs. Add pumpkin and water. In separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt. Add to wet mixture. Mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full with batter. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Enjoy like a rock star!

Stamps: Holiday Treats (Papertrey Ink), From Our House (Amuse Artstamps), Linen Background (SU!) Paper: Prism Spring Willow Medium, SU Cranberry Crisp (Retired), SU More Mustard, SU Confetti Cream (for the recipe printed on the reverse and the ring), Heidi Grace Designs - Harvest Row/Harvest Flower (Fiskars) Ink: Old Olive (SU!) , Cranberry Crisp (SU!) Accessories: Printer fonts and printer, circle nestabilities (scalloped and plain), Sewing machine, white thread, gold cord, olive thin organdy ribbon, gold brads, chocolate chip marker

18 comments:

Judy in Indiana said...

These are so gorgeous! I am stealing this idea.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda! Thanks for the recipes - I know how I'm spending my weekend! I have questions though...for the banana bread, did you use mini-loaf pans and on the muffins were they regular or mini? From the pictures they both look mini but I wanted to be sure. Thank again!

Amanda said...

The loaf pans were mini -- I think they came in a 5 pack at my grocery store for a little over a $1. The muffins were regular sized, but I am sure you could do mini muffins too! I found some gold foil muffin wrappers at my grocery store and thought they were the perfect accent for the warm autumn colored paper.

Anonymous said...

This looks so yummy!! Thanks for the recipes. Love your artwork too!

Sarah said...

mmmmm, thanks for the comment-- you are not the first to ask, i will actually be posting a tutorial next thursday-- check back and see :D

Diane said...

Yummy! Cute and clever idea! I will be trying these for sure! LOve the labels you made for them, too!

Angie Williams said...

mmmmm these recipes sound delicious! Thanks so much for posting them! I am definitely going to have to try the muffin one!

Darlene said...

Yummmmmmmmmmm ... great ideas and wonderful treats!! Thanks for the recipes ... going to link this to my daughter ... she LOVEs blogs with recipes!! Awesome combination of stamping & baking!!

Aimee said...

These look wonderful... what awesome gifts.

Anonymous said...

ahhh....Molly... I mean Mandy..hehehehe... you put me to shame! I remember making those pumpkin muffins with your class at school....when you were like in fourth grade... They called them Monster Muffins. Do you remember that? hehehehe
Love you lots !

Unknown said...

mmm, yummy.
whoever is getting them, is so lucky!!!!

Anonymous said...

YUM-O!! I am so trying both of these recipes!

Sara said...

These look wonderful, can't wait to try them

Stampin' Meg said...

These recipes sound divine!

KA said...

I love your talent for making things taste and look extra special.

Mandy said...

Yummy! Everything looks great! Love the packaging!

cindy lachine said...

I am loving your blog, I will have to try the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, they sound wonderful for this time of year. I am really getting into the spirit looking at all your wonderful ideas and the countdown to Halloween Calendar.
Thanks for sharing!
Cindy

~ j said...

yummy! the packaging looks delicious too :D